Job resource centre for PMET positions launched in Punggol
3 more centres to come by March 2018
- The first resource centre for job-seeking PMETs launched on April 1.
- 7 employers offered total of 100 positions on first day launch.
- "Being a fast growing new town (Punggol) with many young families also means there could be more PMETs that require assistance during this economic reality", says Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC MP Ng Chee Meng.
- The North East Community Development Council put up $200,000 to set up the centre targeting to reach out to about 2,000 PMET job seekers in the area.
- It provides career advisory services and job and training information for free.
- There are 5 work spaces equipped with laptops, a printer, espresso machine and interview room for job seekers and potential employers to meet.
- 2 more centres in Aljunied and Pasir Ris will be launched by the end of the year. Another to come in Tampines by March 2018.
Layoffs last year rose to the highest level since the global financial crisis in 2009, hitting PMETs positions hardest.
Recent enhanced Career Support Programs introduced by the government will surely give more job opportunities to job seekers.
Read more on the original articles here.